Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Twenty years old and from the newspaper
- 4 lbs center cut chuck steaks or 4 lbs chuck, cubes
- 3 large carrots (cut in two inch pieces)
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can green beans
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- Salt and pepper meat; rub with flour.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add meat and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup boiling water and other ingredients.
- Cook over low heat, tightly covered with aluminum foil, in dutch oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or crockpot on low setting for 6 hours.
- Oven - baste twice during cooking, turning once.
- Remove meat and vegetables; spoon off fat; leave 4-6 tbsp drippings in pan to make gravy.
- Discard bay leave; reserve meat and vegetables.
- To make gravy add 4-6 tbsp flour added bit by bit to desired thickness.
- Pour over meat and vegetables.