Recipe by dahlia
This was one of my favorite recipes that mom made while I was growing up. I make it all the time now for my husband and I. Since I like to eat healthy, I normally make the sauce with lean ground turkey, but mom always made it with ground beef. The chili sauce is THE secret ingredient--don't leave it out!! It tastes great over spaghetti with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It freezes very well and makes great leftovers.
Top Review by Rick Young
Very tasty, very easy. I'm not a fan of spaghetti but my wife really enjoys it so what can I say? LOL I'm going to make a double batch next time and freeze some of it. I suspect it will do pretty good and make for an easy meal for one of THOSE type of days.
- 453.59-680.38 g lean ground beef or 453.59-680.38 g ground turkey
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 170.09 g packagesliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (can also use garlic powder)
- 737.08 g jar pasta sauce (I like Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 340.19 g bottle chili sauce (I prefer Heinz)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saute pan with cover, brown meat in olive oil over med-high heat; drain any fat or juices that have accumulated in pan.
- Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Saute with meat until onions start to become translucent and veggies are becoming slightly tender (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add whole jar pasta sauce& whole bottle of chili sauce to pan.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring to low boil, then cover& turn down heat so that sauce is simmering (normally low to med-low heat).
- Simmer for approximately.
- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- If sauce has too much liquid, simply remove cover and simmer until the desired amount of liquid has cooked off.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti with sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, garlic bread, and green salad.