My mom has made a variation of these brownies as long as I can remember. She doesn't know where she got the recipe from. I substituted whole wheat flour and honestly no one can tell it isn't made with white flour! You can substitute plain applesauce for part of the oil, but I like to use 1 c oil (as my mom does) with no applesauce - faster to measure, and it is a dessert after all! I hope you enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and 'flour' 9x13" pan, using cocoa powder instead of flour. (This will eliminate any white spots on bottom of brownies).
- In a large bowl, stir together cocoa, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla, and any optional ingredients. Mix well, stopping as soon as all ingredients are incorporated - excessive mixing will cause a cake-like texture.
- Pour into prepared 9x13" pan.
- Bake at 350 for 27-30 minutes. Test with toothpick, the brownies are done when no batter clings to it. Remove slightly earlier if you like a gooey, eat with a fork brownie.
I made this for a family reunion & it turned out well. I used the 1/2 applesauce & it tasted like a healthy treat. I also put a whole bag (2C) of dark chocolate chips & it was outstanding.