Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Traditional turkey/chicken stuffing recipe my mom, Agnes, has been making since before I was born. Can also be cooked outside the bird in an oven baking dish. Excellent cold, sliced on turkey sandwiches!
- 4 cups dried or toasted bread, cubed (good for an 8 - 10 lb. roasting chicken or turkey)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Moisten bread cubes with milk or hot water.
- Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and egg.
- Combine mixture.
- Melt butter in frying pan and add onions until slightly browned, then add celery.
- Stir, then add to bread cube mixture.
- Stuff turkey or chicken lightly with stuffing, being careful not to pack stuffing in tightly.
- Rub turkey or chicken well with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Put in 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- After 1 1/2 hour turn oven down to 250 degrees.
This stuffing tasted like my Mom's.. She never wrote it down, so I never made it the way she did. Thaanks for a great recipe!!!
I am really late in reviewing this,so sorry. I use this recipe for my basic stuffing adding dried cranberries, sometimes toasted nuts. The egg helps it stay together and since I usually only roast the turkey breast thats a great bonus. This recipe I have found is also very forgiving for the cook. Thanks a bunch.
This was the BEST stuffing I have had. I love stuffing but when cooked outside the bird was always dry. This wasn't and the flavor was devine. I made it for Thanksgiving and and I'll make it again for Christmas. This recipe if a definated keeper!!!