Recipe by stephanierndos
I promise you that my mom's banana bread recipe is the absolute BEST you'll ever make or taste -- I've tried other banana bread recipes, but - they don't even come close to my Mom's -- Love you Mommy!
Top Review by Steph KP
This is definitely a lighter banana bread recipe (not a heavy weight in your stomach) which I like. I add chopped pecans and chocolate chips and make banana muffins. Bake my muffins at 350 for about 20 mins and it works out great. Thanks for sharing!
- 295.73 ml mashed bananas (4 to 5 Medium bananas)
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 78.07 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 158.51 ml sugar (or Splenda, whatever you like)
- 2 eggs, separated (Large or Medium)
- 42.52 g milk
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 29.58 ml flax seeds
- 59.14 ml chopped walnuts (optional) or 59.14 ml pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together butter, sugar, & egg yolks until creamy.
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg). Alternately add the dry mixture to the creamed butter mixture as well as the milk & mashed bananas. Beat the egg whites until a stiff peak forms and fold in with a wooden spoon, (make sure you only use a wooden spoon to do this - this is KEY), next - fold in the chopped nuts also stir in with the wooden spoon.
- Bake in a loaf pan that you have sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray and dusted lightly with flour at 350° for approximately 45 minutes - insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf to ensure it is not runny, if it is - allow to bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with cream cheese or your favorite margarine.
- Note: I love to wait a day and then toast a piece in my toaster oven - it is SO good when it gets re-heated and toasty with butter on it and a cup of coffee - YUM!