Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Just the way Mom always made it. She passed it on to me, and now I'm passing it on to you. I usually cheat and use ready made crusts, I never use the salt, and I add more pie seasoning and vanilla just as personal preference.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into thin pats
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- Peel, core, and pare apples.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Spread 1/3 of apples, followed by 1/3 of sugar mixture into the bottom of prepared unbaked 9in pie crust, repeat twice.
- Top with pats of butter, and cover with top pie crust. Cut star shape (an X) into center of crust, slightly pull back dough.
- Mix cream with vanilla, pour slowly into opening of crust.
- Place on cookie sheet, and bake at 400 for 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling.