Recipe by Chilicat
These are the BEST melt-in-your-mouth almond cookies around! They're based on the traditional Chinese recipe but don't have lye in them (yuck).
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy. Beat eggs with almond extract, then add to sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly, as these don't spread very much.
- If you want them to look like traditional Chinese almond cookies, mix a few drops of red food coloring with a few drops of water. Using the blunt end of a chopstick, dip into the red color, then stamp a dot into the center of each cookie. Alternately, you can place a bleached almond in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 20 minutes or until just barely brown on the edges. Transfer to rack to cool.