Recipe by Mary Leverington
Not just another Beef Stroganoff recipe. Believe me. It is mom's recipe which she got from a good friend and it became, as I'm sure yours have to, one of the family favorites. I've changed it a bit--gussied it up with wine. You know how it goes.
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can cream of tomato soup
- 1 can condensed beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms (or 1/2 lb. of fresh mushrooms sauteed in 2 tablespoons of butter)
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef cubes in butter over medium high heat in a large heavy frying pan with a lid.
- Add onions and brown them also.
- Add garlic and dill and stir for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over all and blend in.
- Mix soups together with a wire whisk and then add to beef mixture and stir.
- Add wine and Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Cook until beef is tender--about 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in mushrooms and sour cream and bring just to a simmer.
- Serve with buttered egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.