Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a favorite with all of my family. Not sure where my mother got the recipe so many years ago, but it is different than the creamy white stroganoff so many people make. It really is very good. Serve this with egg noodles or rice.
- 1 lb round steaks or 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons flour, to coat meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat works, but not no-fat)
- 6 -8 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Coat meat with flour and brown in hot oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until golden.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream,salt, tomato soup, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add to the meat.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook over very low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice and top with Parmesan cheese.
Your mom's recipe is closer to the original Russian dish than the "white" versions! Can't wait to try this.
I am so glad I found this! This is how my father made stroganoff while I was growing up. Lost the recipe and my husband was asking me to make this. Everyone should give this a recipe a try. It's AWESOME! Thanks for posting it.
Big hit with the family even my children that are picky eaters. The only thing I changed was I used fresh sliced mushrooms and added a small can of diced tomatoes with juice.I Recommend this to everyone. This recipe doubles nicely. Thanks!!