Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
For years I searched for a beef stew recipe that was like what my mother served when I was growing up and could never find one - didn't think to ask her! This is her recipe that was adapted from the Betty Crocker cookbook, that I have adapted to be gluten free. This tastes even better the second day.
- Combine potato starch and salt in a large zipper bag, then add beef and shake until coated.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven (preferably non-stick) over medium heat.
- Add meat and cook until lightly browned.
- Add water and bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender (may take longer if your cubes aren't small enough).
- Add remaining ingredients, increase heat and bring to a boil (you may need to add more water - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't).
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.