Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another heart-warmer, hearty soup from my mom. Kids love it. Tastes even better on the second day.
- 1 cup large lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 3 -4 cups vegetables, of your choice chopped (including carrots, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, whatever)
- 1 large onion, diced
- Boil lima beans in water for one minute. Drain! Then add 8-10 cups of hot water, barley, vegetables.
- Bring to a boil again, and then simmer for about an hour or more, until beans are soft.
- While soup is cooking, saute onion in oil until well done, or even browned. Add to soup.
- Season with salt, pepper, dill to taste.