Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a no-frills recipe that uses ingredients that mom commonly kept around the house.
- 255.14 g box lasagna noodles
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 709.77 ml water
- 28.34 g packageamerican beauty spaghetti sauce mix
- 2 (680.38 g) carton small curd cottage cheese
- 14.79 ml finely chopped parsley
- 453.59 g grated mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- Rapidly boil 4 quarts water. Add 2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add lasagna a strip at a time and boil 10-12 minutes or until tender. As it cooks, separate strips occasionally with a fork. Drain and rinse with cold water. (If lasagna is not used immediately, let stand in cold water to keep strips separate.).
- In a large skillet brown 1 lb. ground beef in 1 tbsp oil. Season to taste with a salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, 3 cups water (4 6-oz. cans), 1 package (1 oz.) of American Beauty Spaghetti sauce mix. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together with spoon: cottage cheese, parsley, mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish and spoon enough meat sauce to cover the bottom. Top with strips of cooked lasagna. Spread with part of the cheese filling.
- Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes to set layers. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- This can be prepared the day before and refrigerated. When ready to use let stand at room temperature about 1 hour, then bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.