Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a no-frills recipe that uses ingredients that mom commonly kept around the house.
- 1 (9 ounce) box lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) packageamerican beauty spaghetti sauce mix
- 2 (12 ounce) cartons small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Rapidly boil 4 quarts water. Add 2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add lasagna a strip at a time and boil 10-12 minutes or until tender. As it cooks, separate strips occasionally with a fork. Drain and rinse with cold water. (If lasagna is not used immediately, let stand in cold water to keep strips separate.).
- In a large skillet brown 1 lb. ground beef in 1 tbsp oil. Season to taste with a salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, 3 cups water (4 6-oz. cans), 1 package (1 oz.) of American Beauty Spaghetti sauce mix. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together with spoon: cottage cheese, parsley, mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish and spoon enough meat sauce to cover the bottom. Top with strips of cooked lasagna. Spread with part of the cheese filling.
- Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes to set layers. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- This can be prepared the day before and refrigerated. When ready to use let stand at room temperature about 1 hour, then bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.