Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Recipe that my mom gave me. I don't know where she got it.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup luke warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sweet butter
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tbs sugar in 1/2 cup water (85 F).
- Sit for about 10 min.
- Heat milk and butter in sauce pan until melted.
- Place 2 tbs sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Pour milk and butter mixture into sugar and salt mixture (#2into#3) and blend with wooden spoon.
- Add beaten egg and 1/2 cup of flour into#4.
- Allow to cool until temperature is about 105 F.
- Add yeast mixture (#1) to#5 and stir well.
- Add about 1/2 of the remaining flour.
- Beat 300 times.
- Add remaining flour.
- Knead until blisters form and dough is elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball, return to bowl and butter surface.
- Cover and let rise for about an hour (until it has doubled in size).
- Punch dough down and knead again.
- Divide into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
- Butter surface, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 F for 30-35 minutes.
- The top should be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.