Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are tasty and delicious, not to mention easy. They can be top-of-stove ribs, or slowly cooked in a 325 F oven. My Mom has made them for years.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (6 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Separate ribs into bite sized pieces.
- Brown them in oil in a heavy frying pan or dutch oven.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and pour over ribs.
- Cover and simmer in the stove-top pan or dutch oven (or in a roaster in the oven at 325 F for about 1 3/4 hours.
- Stir occasionally to make sure all ribs are well coated with sauce.
OMG this was so good & the ribs were amazingly tender. My DH liked it so much he asked for it again 5 days later. The only thing I did not put in was the celery because I had none, but besides that I will be making this on a regular basis. I want to also try it with pork chops or a pork roast. Update.. I make these ALL the time, but I didn't like how greasy the sauce was so now I cook the ribs for about 3/4 of an hour and drain off the fat then put the sauce on. Makes a BIG difference!
These came out very tender and the tangy sauce really tasted great over noodles. I will be making these again. Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.