Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my Mom's collection! It is delicious! My mom used to make this whenever our bananas would go "rotten" - always so much fun to make and eat! Thanks, Mom!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 very ripened bananas (the blacker the better)
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon ish flour
- 1 cup pecans (optional)
- In a liquid mixing cup, pour 1 tsp of vinegar and enough milk to make 1/2 cup (be sure to put the vinegar in first and then add your milk).
- Mix together dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl (sift, if desired).
- In your blender, mix together vanilla and 3 bananas until they are soup like in texture.
- Cream together shortening and sugar in your mixing bowl.
- Add 2 eggs to creamed shortening and sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and sour milk mixture. Be sure to alternate between the two.
- Slowly add in the souplike banana mixture and pecans (if desired).
- Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray and flour (I usually use about 1 tsp of flour, but it depends on your pan, how coated you want it, etc.).
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's finished. If not, put back into the oven for 5 minutes and keep going that way until your toothpick comes out clean.
- Invert cake and allow to cool for 10-20 minutes.
I am giving this 5 stars to rate it because it sounds really good and I hate it when someone changes the recipe and/or cooking method and rates the recipe low stars because of their mistakes. I tried this, but I tried it in the bread machine...lol...DONT DO THAT! I'm sure, when made correctly, it is wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. I may try it again some time.