Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am always buying more bananas than I can eat. My mom's recipe is my favorite way to use them. You can substitute one tsp of vinegar for the lemon juice.
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- Mix the milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Mash the bananas. I find a potato masher works well. Add them to the mixture.
- Mix the baking soda into the milk, then add alternately to the banana mixture with the 2 cups of flour.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour.
PAC Spring 2008 ~ Nice and moist and not too sweet. Used butter in place of shortening. Thanks for posting.
This made a nice high loaf in a 9" loaf pan. I actually had buttermilk to use up, so I didn't use the soured milk, but everything else was as written. DH took all but one piece (my piece) to work with him (sliced, buttered while warm, and topped with cinnamon sugar), and was quite miffed when his two guys ate nearly all of it on him (lol). Nice recipe for a classic, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 07