Recipe by GaylaV
I love this rich pudding. It is not a dieter's friend but I have lightened it up from time to time. What makes this special is the short grain rice, whole milk and butter. Comfort food at its finest.
Top Review by anniesnomsblog
What a lovely recipe for rice pudding! I am obsessed with rice pudding, but had never made my own before this! It might take a long time to bake, but it's totally worth it! Gorgeously creamy and sweet; I served it with plenty of cinnamon and some fresh blueberries.
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 6 cups homogenized milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn oven to 325F and grease large casserole dish.
- Pour in first 5 ingredients and stir well. It will look like a lot of milk but it isn't too much.
- If you want raisins and cinnamon stir it in now. I never put them in as my family prefers it without.
- Dot the top of the ingredients with chunks of butter.
- Bake for 2-3 hours. Stir every 15 minutes for the first hour and then just let it cook. Check it at 2 hours and if it is getting dry add another cup of milk and stir. Taste test to be sure rice is cooked.
- It will get a nice brown skin on top. You can remove it but I like to stir it in as I serve it. It is very flavourful.