Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love this rich pudding. It is not a dieter's friend but I have lightened it up from time to time. What makes this special is the short grain rice, whole milk and butter. Comfort food at its finest.
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 6 cups homogenized milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- Turn oven to 325F and grease large casserole dish.
- Pour in first 5 ingredients and stir well. It will look like a lot of milk but it isn't too much.
- If you want raisins and cinnamon stir it in now. I never put them in as my family prefers it without.
- Dot the top of the ingredients with chunks of butter.
- Bake for 2-3 hours. Stir every 15 minutes for the first hour and then just let it cook. Check it at 2 hours and if it is getting dry add another cup of milk and stir. Taste test to be sure rice is cooked.
- It will get a nice brown skin on top. You can remove it but I like to stir it in as I serve it. It is very flavourful.
What a lovely recipe for rice pudding! I am obsessed with rice pudding, but had never made my own before this! It might take a long time to bake, but it's totally worth it! Gorgeously creamy and sweet; I served it with plenty of cinnamon and some fresh blueberries.
Good; but it was too runny for us.
This recipe was SO GOOD! By far the best rice pudding recipe I have found. I used 1% milk instead of whole milk, I did not add the salt, I did add the cinnamon and raisins and I used arborio rice and It was ready in 2 hours. Thanks for posting the recipe! :)