Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
These are a hit with the volunteer fire dept. in the small town we lived in. They were requested for every barbecue we had.
- Rinse beans. Soak overnight in 4 cups of water.
- Drain, measuring water. Discard the soaking water and add fresh water in an equal amount. (This makes the beans less 'gassy').
- Add remaining ingredients except bacon.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.
- Cut bacon into 1/4" pieces. Stir into the beans and put the mixture in a 10 cup casserole or a bean pot.
- Bake, covered, at 250F for 7 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove one cup of beans, mash and stir back in to thicken juice.
- Check occasionally during cooking and add a little more hot water if it starts to get too thick.