10 hrs 40 mins
I haven't made this hearty looking stew, but am posting it for all of Jewish chefs. Taken from allrecipes.com. I imagine you could do this in a crockpot as well as your oven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 onions, quartered
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup dry kidney bean
- 1 cup dried pinto bean
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into thirds
- boiling water, to cover
- 2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion and mushroom soup mix
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large oven safe pot or roasting pan, saute onions in oil over medium heat.
- 2Add meat, and brown well on all sides.
- 3Mix in beans, stir continuously until the beans start to shrivel.
- 4Stir in the barley.
- 5Add potatoes, and add just enough boiling water to cover the meat and potatoes.
- 6Mix in dry soup mix and garlic.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes on stove top.
- 9Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- 10Cover pot tightly, and place in preheated oven.
- 11Allow to cook overnight for at least 10 to 15 hours.
- 12Check periodically to make sure you have enough liquid to cover; add small amounts of water if needed.
- 13Do not stir; stirring will break up the chunks of potatoes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Authentic Kosher Cholent Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.3
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 300.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 62.7 g