Recipe by Julesong
A childhood favorite, whenever Mom made these meatballs they'd disappear quickly off the dinner table!
Top Review by Alisa Lea
This was so good. My whole family enjoyed it. I waited until after dinner to tell them it had applesauce in it. My kids looked at me kinda funny then! I even made sandwiches with the leftovers for my husband and me to take to work the next day. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Vegetables - this is important for the flavor and sauce
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 1 carrot, thinely sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice or 2 cups V8 vegetable juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix beef, applesauce, and bread crumbs.
- Add eggs; season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into small balls, roll in flour and brown in hot oil.
- Place balls in a casserole dish.
- To drippings in pan add vegetables and tomato juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then pour over meat balls (this is an important step).
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven of 350 degrees for about an hour, until vegetables have broken down and have created a nice sauce.
- If desired, the gravy can be thickened with a little flour-water paste before serving.