Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Mom always makes this for Christmas but it would be great all year round.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins, cut up and dusted
- Grease and flour a tube pan, add waxed paper to bottom. Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in egg then add applesauce.
- Sift flour and spices together, stir into mixture, alternating with water. After blending, add nuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into pan and bake about 1 hour. Let cool and remove. Can also use a 13 x 9 in pan but only bake for 45 minutes.