Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Old southern family recipe handed down for years.
Make and share this Mom's Apple Stack Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in the boiling water
- 1 (1 quart) jar applesauce, sweetened with the sugar and cinnamon
- Mix together cookie layer ingredients and add enough flour to roll out nicely.
- Take a piece of dough about the size of your fist and pat it out in pie tins.
- It will be thin.
- Bake 2 at a time at 375 degrees about 10 minutes.
- Makes about 9 pie size cookies.
- Spread filling between each layer and on top of assembled cake.
- Sometimes you can make 2 cakes from this recipe.
- This cake improves with age after the filling has soaked into the cookie layers.
- Best if eaten a day or 2 after it is made.
This is exactly what I have been searching for. A dear friend of the family used to make this years ago and she was a wonderful Southern cook. This brings back great childhood memories.
It was thin layers of cake with sweetened spiced applesauce between the layers. The longer it sat, the mellower it became.