Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My favorite dessert that my mom makes. I always double the topping because that is my favorite part.
- 12 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup oatmeal, not quick
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toss first five ingredients together and put in lightly greased 9x13 pan.
- Cut together the rest of the ingredients and crumble on top of apple mixture to cover it all.
- In a 1 cup measurer put 1 Tbsp lemon juice, a 1 tsp vanilla extract and fill the rest of the way full with apple juice or water.
- Sprinkle over the top of crisp.
- Bake until top is a golden brown.
- About 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream.
This was very good! I used only granny smith apples so it was a little more tart then I would have liked. Next time I think I will try and throw in some other sweeter apples! Thanks for the recipe!
I made this apple crisp last night and my family loved it! Mixing sugar, flour and salt with the apples, then pouring the water over the top of everything allows the apples to make a yummy caramel sauce. I used Pamela's Baking Mix instead of flour since I can't have wheat, and my family didn't even notice. I only used 1/4 cup sugar on the apples instead of 1/2 cup and it was still plenty sweet. I used fuji apples which seem to be fairly sweet and I didn't use lemon juice (because I didn't have any on hand) so that could be why it was sweet enough. I made a single recipe of the topping and it didn't seem to be enough to cover the apples. I made a second batch of topping and it was just the right amount. I used 11 medium apples, which, with the double topping, completely filled my 9x13 pan. I only had to cook this 29 minutes and the top was crispy and well-browned. The apples were a tiny bit underdone, but I think if I lower the oven rack one space, it'll be perfect!
this is the apple crisp darlene uses she only cooks 30 minutes she makes double recipe