1/2 Photos of Mom's Apple Cake
Mia in Germany's Note:
This is the only cake my mom ever baked - she was the daughter of a confectioner and taught me nearly everything about making cakes and tarts, but she never baked anything except this cake, because it was my favorite apple cake. She also made it with plums, but you can use any fruit you like. This cake maybe is not what you expect a cake to be - in Germany it is called a baking tray - cake which means that you spread the batter onto a baking tray which makes a flat cake, more like what you would call a "bar", I suppose, with a crisp bottom.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, core and slice apples or wash, pit and half plums.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- 3Keep 1 tablespoon of the margarine and two tablespoons sugar.
- 4Knead flour, the rest of the margarine and sugar, egg, salt and baking powder until you get a soft dough.
- 5Spread 2/3 of the dough onto a well greased or paper lined baking tray.
- 6Layer with sliced apples or halved plums (they have to overlap).
- 7Mix remaining 1/3 of the dough with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon margarine, add vanilla and / or cinnamon to taste and sprinkle over apples.
- 8Bake at 350 ° for about 35 minutes.
- 9Attention: This cake easily burns - so start watching it closely after half the baking time!
- 10Slice while still warm and let cool completely on a wire rack. Or serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 289.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g