Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of my favorites growing up. Mom's Angel food cake. Great without any topping or glaze. Working on getting Mom's Orange glaze....guarded secret..HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 375.
- Stir flour and first amount of sugar, (¾ cups plus 2 tblsp. Sugar) set aside.
- In large mixer bowl beat egg whites, cream of tarter and salt until foamy.
- Add second amount of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time beating on high speed until meringue hold stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in extracts.
- Sprinkle flour---sugar mixture 1/4 cup at a time over meringue, folding in gently just until flour mixture disappears.
- Push batter into ungreased tube-pan, 10X4 inches.
- Gently cut through batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Let hang until completely cooled.