My mom makes these cookies when I am home to visit. They are seriously the best thing ever! The trick to the recipe is the almond flavoring. It's very unique. These are not your ordinary sugar cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cookie sheets with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix shortening, sugar, and egg in a large bowl until well blended; add the flour and mix well.
- Then add the baking soda, cream of tartar, vanilla, and almond flavoring; mix well.
- Roll cookie dough in colored sugar and than form into a ball.
- Put the balls on a cookie sheet and flatten out just a little bit.
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
- Let them sit for a minute on the cookie sheet once done and then transfer them to a cookie rack.