1/12 Photos of Mom's Air Buns (Rolls)
2 hrs 20 mins
Sweet Baboo's Note:
This recipe for light, soft, buns did NOT come from my Mom, but it is so good that I dedicate it to all Moms who bake bread..or anyone who bakes bread for that matter! I will give the original recipe, but I admit that I now use the ABM to knead the dough, and will give instructions for this variation at the end. Preparation time is the length of time for the "dough" cycle on my bread machine. For anyone wishing to make 100% whole wheat buns,(a variation of this recipe, and equally delicious IMHO), I have submitted it as Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Air Buns (Rolls) for Abm with minor alterations. More tweaking...I now like Mom's 100% Whole Grain Air Buns, Mom's 100% Whole Grain Air Buns (Rolls) (Knead Dough in the Abm) even better for a healthier version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp sugar, and allow to proof.
- 2Melt the lard, and mix in sugar, salt, vinegar, and warm water. When body warm, add the proofed yeast, and beat in 1 1/2 cups flour. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- 3Knead in approximately 3 cups more flour.
- 4Let dough rise till double (approximately 2 hours).
- 5Deflate dough, and form into buns, any size, (I make 16 large) or loaves. Rise till double (takes approximately one hour, but depends on size/shape chosen).
- 6Bake buns at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- 7For ABM, in my machine, on the "dough" cycle, I use 2 teaspoons of bread machine yeast, and I reduce the water to about 1 1/2 cups, the flour to 4 cups, adding a tad more water or flour as it kneads to get a smooth,soft ball of dough. I leave the other ingredients as posted.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Air Buns (Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (1106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.3
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 74.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g