Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious and full of fiber. Uncooked dough can be kept 6 weeks in the refrigerator, allowing you to cook only a few muffins at a time.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-bran cereal ("Kellogg's All Bran Bran Buds", the little sticks)
- 1 cup 40% Bran Flakes Cereal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Dissolve baking soda into boiling water, set aside. Cream shortening and sugar, beat in eggs. Sift flour with salt, combine with creamed mixture. Blend in boiled water with baking soda, then buttermilk. Stir in both cereals, raisins and (optional) walnuts.
- Refrigerate uncooked dough for up to 6 weeks.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.