Recipe by startnover
These are a great breakfast treat! I grew up having these as an after school snack. They stay good in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup margarine
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups nonfat milk (you can use regular buttermilk in place of the non fat and lemon juice)
- 3 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- raisins (optional)
- dates (optional)
- nuts (optional)
- dried fruit (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cereals and Boiling Water. Let stand.
- In another bowl cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and beat well. Mix milk and juice together in a seperate bowlthen add to eggs. Stir in cereal mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and raisins or fruit if desired. Mix thoroughly. Add dry mixture to batter. Stir just to combine.
- Store in Refrigerator. It will keep for up to six weeks.
- TO BAKE: Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes, just watch them. Amount is approx .