Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
When I lost this recipe, I searched everywhere for one just like it. None of them had the dressing, which, IMO, makes this fruit salad. The dressing is very similar to what's used in Taffy Apple Salads, so I used that for awhile. I finally found my mom's recipe in a basket full of old recipes and want to post it here. I could eat all of this in one sitting. I don't care for the coconut, so I don't add it. I also guessed on the number of servings. Prep time includes time spent whisking dressing.
- 236.59 ml mandarin orange, drained
- 236.59 ml pineapple tidbits, drained (save juice for dressing from approx 20 ounce can)
- 236.59 ml miniature marshmallow
- 236.59 ml coconut
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- juice from drained pineapple
- Mix the first five ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat til thickened, stirring constantly(I use a whisk).
- Let dressing cool slightly then pour over salad and chill. Serve cold.
WOW! This was almost an exact replica of a salad that I ate by the bowl full when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I used vegan sour cream due to dairy allergies and I also added in some chopped walnuts and marschino cherries. This will be a summer staple in our house. Thank you so much for sharing!
Cooked dressings add that "extra" creaminess to a recipe! I added more marshmallows (double) and used fat free sour cream. This was extra creamy but I didn't notice any extra "pineapple" flavor with the dressing. I will add mar. cherries next time. Thanks Mickeymousemom, for posting- Roxygirl
This is a very easy to put together and very tasty salad. My son, the resident 'shmallow lover in our house loved, loved, loved this. I doubled the batch and made the recipe as it stands. Another great recipe to add to my Canada Day menu. Thanks for posting this recipe.