These are the proportions of ingredients from Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Air Buns (Rolls) for Abm that I use to make a loaf of bread in my bread machine.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons shortening, lard or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 2 2⁄3 tablespoons honey
- 2⁄3 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (I prefer cider vinegar, or unseasoned rice vinegar)
- 4 teaspoons gluten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, minus 4 teaspoons
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Put 4 teaspoons of gluten in the bottom of a one cup measure. Add whole wheat flour to fill the cup, and then measure another 2 cups of just whole wheat flour.
- Add ingredients to the bread machine as per instructions for your model.
- As the machine begins to mix, adjust the water or extra flour to give a smooth ball of dough when kneaded.
- I use the whole grain option of my machine to bake my loaf.