These are the proportions of ingredients from Mom's 100% Whole Wheat Air Buns (Rolls) for Abm that I use to make a loaf of bread in my bread machine.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons shortening, lard or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 2 2⁄3 tablespoons honey
- 2⁄3 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (I prefer cider vinegar, or unseasoned rice vinegar)
- 4 teaspoons gluten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, minus 4 teaspoons
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Put 4 teaspoons of gluten in the bottom of a one cup measure. Add whole wheat flour to fill the cup, and then measure another 2 cups of just whole wheat flour.
- Add ingredients to the bread machine as per instructions for your model.
- As the machine begins to mix, adjust the water or extra flour to give a smooth ball of dough when kneaded.
- I use the whole grain option of my machine to bake my loaf.
This was a shocking loaf of bread! I couldn't believe how light and airy and delicious the thing was. It rose like a champ. For years I've been searching for a great loaf of 100% whole wheat bread. I didn't believe a loaf at this level was even possible. Wow! I used lard, sugar, and malt vinegar. I followed all measurements and directions exactly. When I checked my dough to make sure it was creating a smooth ball, it required a little splash of water. Sorry, I don't know how much. I had a bit at the bottom of the measuring cup and just sort of slopped a splash of that into the ABM as it kneaded. Anyway.... Yeah, this loaf also sliced beautifully. I signed up for Food.com after years of using it and the previous incarnation Recipezaar just to be able to support this outstanding recipe and its amazing results. THANK YOU, Sweet Baboo!!!! Deserves 10 stars.
An outstanding loaf of bread!! The texture of this bread is unbelievable - light and airy, unlike any 100% WW loaf I've seen before! I used butter and honey, and chose to use the dough option on my abm and then let it rise in a normal bread pan and bake at 350 for 28 minutes. DH, who usually says things are "good", said this bread was "gorgeous" and "smelled beautiful." Not bad from a guy of few words, normally! Thanks for posting this, it's definately a keeper - can't wait to try your multigrain loaf! Made for PRMR Tag.
this bread is really good . i made it without bread maker i heated up oven to 450 and when put bread in 425 degrees and it took 25 minutes in my oven , it has great crumb if you are looking for wheat bread try this one . i used malt vinegar and butter