Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm dying to make this again next week! This is adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com. It's my favorite recipe because it has a lot of veggies and a unique twist with the carrot layer below the potatoes. If you are throwing calorie counts to the wind, make this truly decadent and bake it in a butter pie crust (Trader Joe's is phenomenal!).
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn and peas
- 4 -6 carrots, chopped
- 3 cups your favorite mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. (If making mashed potatoes, boil the carrots with the potatoes).
- Brown ground beef with onions and garlic while carrots are cooking.
- When carrots are finished, drain, mash and set aside.
- Add flour to ground beef mixture and mix well.
- Add ketchup, wocestershire, stock, and cook to thicken. Taste and add seasoned salt to desired taste.
- Add mixed veggies and simmer until warmed through.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole or deep glass pie dish and top with a layer of mashed carrots, then the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
My DH at more than his fair share. I believe he's always afraid that he may die on an empty stomach. Made for Spring PAC 2012.