Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A surprising and comforting supporting dish.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Peel and slice eggplant. Put slices in a pan with salt and inch of boiling water, cover tightly. Cook 10 minutes, then drain.
- Mash eggplant with eggs, butter, pepper, onion, oregano and breadcrumbs.
- Butter a 1/2 quart baking dish, and cover the bottom with 1/2 of the tomato slices. Spoon eggplant mixture onto the tomato and spread. Arrange the rest of the tomato slices on top.
- Mix together cheeses and sprinkle on top. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.