Recipe by mrsjjkool
This is the BEST corn and shrimp soup recipe EVER! It was posted in a local church cookbook by my grandmother's neighbor, but my grandma swears that it is her recipe! Anyway, it is not a cream based soup but is very delicious. It is a little time consuming, but WELL worth the wait!
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, finely cut
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 (11 ounce) cans shoe peg corn, undrained
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 lbs peeled shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- green onion top
- Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a light brown roux with oil and flour.
- Add onions, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Let simmer a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add to this mixture 3 cans of corn and chicken broth.
- Cook slowly for 1 hour.
- In a separate skillet, fry the shrimp in butter.
- After the shrimp turn pink, add to the soup mixture.
- Cook for 1/2 hour.
- Add green onions, parsley, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad and ENJOY!