Recipe by BigFatMomma
I went vegetarian on my birthday, and decided I needed to invent some yummy burgers that don't have veggie chunks or weird flavors in them. I also didn't want wheat gluten in them, so I came up with these, and my son even liked them! The measurements are approximate, and also, feel free to accessorize this recipe to your own tastes!
Top Review by Healthy Debbie
I like this recipe especially because it does not include beans! The textured vegetable protein gives it a nice texture. Tasty, and the herbs, spices, and flavorings really enhance the burger.
- 1⁄2 cup generous textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian chicken bouillon granules
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white bean flour
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (Use vegetarian version.)
- 1 dash soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix TVP, chopped mushrooms, dried onion and buillon powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Boil approximately 3 cups water, and pour over these ingredients, and let sit until soft.
- Drain thoroughly, and replace in bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, adjusting as necessary so that the ingredients hold together to form patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Form 4 patties, and place in the hot oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned, then turn to brown the other side.
- Serve warm.