Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother used to make the best potato salad. Anytime we had a family gathering everyone requested she make her potato salad. Unfortunately I lost my mother before I could get her original recipe, but from experience of knowing the ingredients she used this recipe is the closest I have came. It's the same but not my mothers touch, as everyone would know a mother's touch is always the best. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- 6 -8 medium idaho potatoes, cooked and diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon french's yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- Cook and drain potatoes.
- In a large bowl add potatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, hard boiled eggs, and sweet pickle relish.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Combine mayonnaise mixture to the potato salad and mix well.
- Sprinkle paprika over top of salad and chill for 1 hr before serving.
- Note: You may add more seasoning of each if needed and more mayonnaise if needed.
- It can also be served warm.
I follow this recipe exactly every time I make potato salad, it is so close to how mother made her's, but as you've said, it needs her touch.
My mom made the best!!!!! also she put vinagar to line out the mayo.GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very yummy. My variations: used baked potato, didn't have enough relish so used diced pickled dill beans, dijon mustard instead of french, & left out the green peppers, didn't know what the recipe meant (bell peppers??)