Recipe by cindyb1026
This is the best dressing I have ever had. My Mother has made it for years and it came from her Mother. I now prepare the same dressing for my Mother and family for Thanksgiving every year. Tips for making this dressing is to bake the cornbread, toast, crackers and rice the day before. Crumble all these ingredients in large bowl, cover and refrigerate over night. You can also dice up the carrots, onions and celery to store over night too.
- 8 cups cornbread
- 4 cups dried bread
- 2 cups saltine crackers
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup raw carrot
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 cup celery
- 4 -5 cups turkey broth or 4 -5 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots, onions and celery in 1 tablespoon of butter with chicken or turkey broth until they become tender, about 15 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Crumble the cornbread, crackers and toasted bread in large bowl.
- Add the rice cooked or instant rice.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Do not drain the broth from the vegetables, as you will not pour it all into the dry mixture.
- Add broth to become very moist.
- Add salt, pepper and sage to taste. I usually use 5 - 6 tablespoons sage to mine.
- Put in lightly greased cooking pan and cover with foil. Be sure to poke a few holes in the foil before placing into over.
- Let bake for about 30 minutes before you remove the foil. Then bake another 10 - 15 minutes to brown a little.