Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
My mom made a mean sauerbraten dinner with dumplings and red cabbage. This is her recipe and it's the real mc coy!
- 1 head red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 whole apple, peeled,cored and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle cabbage with red wine vinegar, caraway seeds.
- Cover with plastic and marinate overnight in refridgerator.
- Next day, in a covered saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onions.
- Add cabbage, sugar, lemon juice, apple juice and grated apple.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour on the stovetop.
- Ready to serve with braised meats, potato dumplings and gravy!
Fantastic and authentic. We always make this recipe when we have German food. I will be having Jagerschnitzel, red cabbage, and fried potatoes tonight. YUM.
Very good. My mom made this almost identical) some 75 years ago. She immigrated from Germany and brought hers with her in 1908. DStowe