Recipe by Gingerbee
My mom made a mean sauerbraten dinner with dumplings and red cabbage. This is her recipe and it's the real mc coy!
- 1 head red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 whole apple, peeled,cored and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle cabbage with red wine vinegar, caraway seeds.
- Cover with plastic and marinate overnight in refridgerator.
- Next day, in a covered saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onions.
- Add cabbage, sugar, lemon juice, apple juice and grated apple.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour on the stovetop.
- Ready to serve with braised meats, potato dumplings and gravy!