Recipe by Rozanne in Texas
I took Mom's basic chicken and rice and dressed it up with fresh vegetables and fresh herbs. For best tasting results grilling the chicken breast is recommended, but definitely not necessary. This is written for a "lower"-sodium and healthier diet. The serving portions are really to your own liking. I never counted how many it serves to be honest. Enjoy!
- 2 cups grilled chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 tsp boullion)
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- First, heat skillet on med-high and THEN add olive oil and butter to melt.
- Add the following: celery, onion, carrot, garlic, and red bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute another minute more. Add rice and saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, water, boullion cubes, sea salt and thyme. Cook until rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in parsley and serve hot with soy sauce, if desired.