Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yummy fried venison that our whole family enjoys.
- 2 lbs deer, cut into serving size pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- Mix salt and pepper with flour and coat meat with it. Heat bacon grease in heavy skillet. Brown meat on both sides.
- Cut up celery and add to skillet along with onions. Brown lightly; add Worcestershire sauce and the 2 cup tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 2 hours until tender.
- Serve over cooked noodles.
Good and simple, although we thought it would benefit from the addition of either garlic, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, or Italian seasoning to add another dimension. After an hour of simmering, our meat was done more than we prefer -- we like our venison medium-rare for best taste. Used top quality Sika deer. Thanks for posting this recipe, barefootmommawv. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
This was so easy to prepare and the taste was just awesome. I used Elk instead of Deer (because that is what I had). We were given some Elk meat by a friend. I had never tried it before so was worried about the gaming taste. This made it taste excellent. I guess I love ELK now. :) I know you can't see the meat in my photo but it is there. I cut the recipe in half and the only suggestion I can give is that you could cut the flour in half and still have enough. Thanks for posting.
I was given some deer steaks and was afraid of the gamey taste. But I soaked the stakes in milk for a day and tried this recipe. It was so good, that I had seconds