Recipe by Momma Kate
These are my all-time favorite cookies. I grew up making them with my mom, and now I am making them for my kids. They are great as they can be made gluten-free if you use GF oats, or are tolerant to regular oatmeal.
Top Review by Golden Dawn
These cookies turned out absolutely delicious! I love that they're naturally gluten-free (given the use of GF oats). I subbed the shortening with 1/4 cup Smart Balance and 1/4 cup coconut oil, and it worked perfectly. I also did not use M&Ms, but added extra chocolate chips to make up for it, plus chopped up walnuts. Delicious! Recipe made a decent amount of cookies and I'm freezing some to eat postpartum (oats are good for lactation!). Thanks!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (can use up to 1/4 cup margarine)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb M&M's plain chocolate candy
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream shortening and sugars together.
- Add eggs, peanut butter and vanilla, mix well.
- Mix in quick oats, baking soda and salt, mix well.
- Stir in M and Ms, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (or by rounded tablespoonfuls for extra large cookies) on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13 minutes for softer cookies and 14-15 minutes for crisper cookies.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.