Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the start my husband was a little overwhelmed with the size and tenor of my very Dutch extended family and right away deemed us "the Dutch Mafia". Somehow that stuck and now even gets tagged onto the meat loaf!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (divided into 3/4 c. sauce for the loaf and the remainder to be mixed in with the sauce)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Lightly mix the first 6 ingredients (remember to only mix in 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce).
- Shape into an oblong loaf on a baking or roasting pan forming loaf to be about 12" x 3" and then flatten its top.
- Combine remaining ingredients into a sauce (don't forget to add the remaining tomato sauce).
- Pour sauce over the top of the meat loaf, covering it evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hour. Baste a couple of times with the sauce so that it will form a light glaze over the loaf.