Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was a winning entry in a Betty Crocker contest celebrating African American cooking.
- 3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream (heavy)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup betty crocker rich & creamy vanilla frosting, if desired
- chopped pecans, if desired
- flaked coconut, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a 9-inch x 3-inch springform pan.
- Coat bottom and sides of pan with graham cracker crumbs.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 cup of the sugar, the flour and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in sour cream, whipping cream and lemon peel on low speed.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl on high speed until stiff; gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture. Beat 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF.
- Bake 60 to 75 minutes longer or until set.
- Turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool 1 hour.
- Refrigerate uncovered about 4 hours or until chilled.
- Place frosting in small microwavable bowl.
- Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) 15 to 30 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle frosting over cheesecake and top with pecans and coconut.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
- Cook time does not include 4 hours of chill time.