Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Holiday favorite for as long as I can remember. Momma didn't like fruitcake but wanted something "traditional" for the holidays. I used to make this in small loaves & send it to my children's teachers as a holiday gift.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 lbs gumdrops, cut into quarters (no black)
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve baking soda in water.
- Cream sugars,shortening,eggs salt& soda mix.
- Sift 1 cup of flour over the gumdrop pieces.
- Mix in nuts.
- Add to creamed mix.
- Add flour& mix well.
- Add applesauce& mix well.
- Bake in greased or disposable loaf pans for 1 hour.
- Slice& Serve hot or cold.
This recipe was great. I used butter in place of the shortening and also used small spiced gumdrops. I have made this twice and it came out great each time. I will be giving my neighbors each a small loaf of this Gumdrop Cake as extra gifts.
I thought this was very good. I used butter (1/2 light butter and 1/2 non-fat butter spread) in place of the shortening and Splenda in place of the sugars (added 1/4 c. maple syrup to make brown sugar), to cut back on calories. The gumdrops I used were called spicedrops, so I am not sure if that changed the flavor from the original recipe. I used a wider pan and had to cut the cook time in half. Your directions did not specify when to add the vanilla extract. Hubby has yet to try this (he is not home from work yet), but in my opinion it is very good.