Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is in loving memory of Mom Tony this is why it is in this cookbook. Recipes were written by hand and have little or no measurements but I will try to get this right.
- 1 head cabbage, grated
- 2 carrots, pealed & grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Use only Best Foods or Kraft Mayonnaise.
- In BIG bowl add cabbage,carrots,onion.
- In smaller bowl mix vinegar,sugar,mayo,salt & pepper and wisk until sugar is dissolved. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Vinegar -1/4 cup at a time, if it needs more add it. Tony said 1 cup but I think this is to much.
- Pour over cabbage, mix well chill and serve.This is Tonys above.
- My notes.
- Increase carrots to 4, use lots more fresh ground pepper, and increase salt.
- Green onion and use about 3/4 to 1 bunch 5-6 stems, cut white onion back to 1/2 an onion.
- 1 Green pepper finely diced/chopped in the same size as Green onions, Now I do not like green pepers as a general rule! But in this recipe it really taste GREAT!
- Purple cabbage for color, about 1/8-1/4 of a head shredded, or fine chopped.
- In dressing.
- Yellow mustard about 1-2 tablespoons.
- Horesradish 1/4 teaspoon, yes horseradish it cuts the mayo"slick" and adds a punch. You'll be supprised on this one.