Recipe by dolliegyrl
These are really good mouth watering rolls that my husband's grandmother, Momma Pat, would make every Easter. They are soft and have a slight sweet taste. They are my favorite homemade recipe. They taste really good fresh out of the oven with butter. You can also make the dough into a loaf of bread if you like.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (leftovers can be used just re-warm them)
- 7 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, eggs, salt, shortening, mashed potatoes and flour. Beat until smooth.
- Knead with your hands 5 minutes till shiny and elastic. Put in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. You need to refrigerate them at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days maximum. The flavor will improve the longer it sits in the refrigerator. I like to make the dough in the evening and then bake them in the morning.
- When ready to make, put rounded pieces of dough in greased bread pans or muffin tins-whichever you prefer. I always make a bit of both :).
- Brush the tops with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Let rise again for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.