Recipe by Emily Elizabeth
This recipe is from my mom's Italian friend who takes the art of cooking to another level. She puts extra care into everything she does in the kitchen from using the freshest ingredients to making even the most common meal uncommonly good with the addition of candles & music. Momma Maglione's attention to detail certainly shines through in this delicious pecan pie recipe. It's not too sweet and has a wonderful consistency. I always whip up the amaretto whipped cream (which I got from the Food Network) as a topping which really sets it off. If tempted to read the calories and fat in this recipe...FORGETABOUIT! This is for special occasions. Enjoy!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup light cream (try Hazelnut Coffee-mate for a tasty lactose free substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecan halves
Amaretto Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and heat water in a double boiler.
- Combine sugars and butter in the double boiler, stir and cook until butter is melted and sugars are mixed inches.
- Add the eggs one at a time quickly mixing with a wire whisk after each addition so they don't cook in the hot mixture.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook in the double boiler for 5 minutes.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the whipped cream. Whip the heavy cream and sugar in an electric mixer with a whisk attachment until it begins to thicken and you can see the waves in the cream from the whisk.
- Add the amaretto liquor and whip until stiff peaks form. (Tip: Put your mixing bowl in the freezer for about 5 minutes before using to help thicken the whipped cream faster).
- When pie is done, let cool and then serve topped with the amaretto whipped cream.