Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom has made this for every holiday since I was little. It doesn't have the onion curls like most, which I don't like, and the swiss cheese adds a great flavor.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 (1 lb) cans cut green beans (drained)
- 4 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄3 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- In skillet cook onion in butter 1 minute Blend in flour, sugar, salt, & pepper. Add milk and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Add the green beans to the white sauce and stir into well blended.
- Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture in a 1qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 the Swiss cheese. Repeat layers, ending with beans.
- Combine cornflake crumbs and melted butter; toss until well mixed. Top beans with cornflake mixture.
- Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) for 20 minute.