Recipe by Sassy in da South
A dessert from Kenya. You may want to add the sugar gradually and adjust to your taste. NOTE: A medium-sized (4-pound) sugar pumpkin should yield about 1 1/2 cups of mashed pumpkin.
Top Review by puppitypup
Loved it! I chose this recipe to use for the ZWT Dessert challenge which required a sugar substitute. I used an equivalent amount of ground dried dates (put through my mini food processor), but that didn't get it quite sweet enough so I added a tablespoon of honey and few tablespoons of pineapple juice too. Topped with diced peanuts, it was delicious! Thank you for posting Sassy, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin, seeded and cubed
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the pumpkin pieces for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Scoop flesh from skins.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pumpkin flesh and sugar.
- Heat over medium-low temperature until sugar dissolves into the pumpkin. Add coconut and cardamom.
- Stir often.
- Cook until the mixture has thickened to thick pudding-like consistency.